Friday, February 17, 2012

Diapers!

Not much is happening around here right now, so I thought I would share something I have been working on. 

For this little one we are planning on doing cloth diapers for a couple reasons. The main reason is it will save us a ton of money (around here even the "cheap" diapers aren't cheap!). Second, we won't have as much trash (which will also save us money since we take our own trash to the dump). And third, why not? :)

I have a number of friends who have done cloth diapers and have made it sound so easy, so we are trying it out. One of these friends has even gone the extra step to make her own diapers. She estimated she can make them for $2-$4.00 each. After I heard this I decided this was the way to go!

Even with my minimal sewing skills these are pretty easy to make. I did make a "practice" diaper to work out all the kinks (meaning my lack of skill). I learned a lot of valuable lessons and I think it will go a lot smoother now.

I bought all the materials online and I also purchased a pattern online that a friend recommended. Even though I have heard from many people not to bother with the newborn size diaper I am doing it. We figured we will be saving the most money at this stage seeing as how babies go through so many at first. It will mean more laundry, but I think it will be worth it.

On a recommendation I am making pocket diapers. I think after I use them on this little one I will reevaluate and see if I want a different style or not. 

Here is a picture of one of the newborn (blue) and small (green) diapers that I made. They aren't perfect, but I am pretty sure they will cover a bum!
 
I'm sure the novelty will wear off pretty quick, but I am excited to change diapers! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment